Ciproxin contains the active substance ciprofloxacin. Ciprofloxacin is an antibiotic belonging to the fluoroquinolone family. Ciprofloxacin works by killing bacteria that cause infections. It only works with specific strains of bacteria.
Ciproxin is used in adults to treat the following bacterial infections:
- respiratory tract infections
- long lasting or recurring ear or sinus infections
- urinary tract infections
- genital tract infections in men and women
- gastro-intestinal tract infections and intra-abdominal infections
- skin and soft tissue infections
- bone and joint infections
- to prevent infections due to the bacterium Neisseria meningitidis
- anthrax inhalation exposure
Ciprofloxacin may be used in the management of patients with low white blood cell counts (neutropenia) who have a fever that is suspected to be due to a bacterial infection.